7.06.2010

Recipe: Grandma Vonnies Sloppy Joe's (AKA - No Manwich)

There are MANY different varieties of Campbell Soup.  I think it's over 32 varieties.  Some of them seem so bizarre to me:  Bean with Bacon, Scotch Broth and Pepper Pot -  just to name a few.

There are old "trusty's" as well.  My cousin Arlene not only taught me the joy that Imitation Vanilla can bring to life (she used to do shots of it), but she introduced me to Vegetarian Vegetable soup.  She swears by it. Throw some Ritz on top - yum.  It since has become one of my favorites as well.

But the one can of soup that I seek out from time to time is good old Chicken Gumbo. 

My Grandma Lavaughn (aka Vonnie) made a sloppy joe that completely ruined the Manwich empire for me.  It is a dish I serve monthly and has a bonus feature as well.  Perfect for Saturday night dinner - intrigued?  Read on....

Grandma Vonnie's Sloppy Joes

1 pound of ground beef
1 Tbsp of dried minced onion
1/4 cup of Mustard
4 tbsp of Ketchup
1 - 2 Cans of Campbells Chicken Gumbo drained (I add 2, my mom adds one)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown the ground beef and minced onion in a skillet or large saucepan.  Drain fat.
2. Add mustard and ketchup
3. Add soup - I use 2 drained.  Campbells changed the soup consistency and has more broth since the 1970's.  I prefer more "girth".
4. Season w/ salt and pepper
5. Heat through and serve on Hamburger buns.

We serve it with chips and Auntie Rhonda's Onion Dip (recipe to look out for), green beans and a pickle.

Here is the Sloppy Joe Bonus:  Save the leftover and mix it with your eggs on Sunday morning with a dash of hot sauce.  Melt a slice of American Cheese on top and that my friends is Norm's Heart Attack Breakfast.  A favorite of my friends who have fond memories of Sunday morning's at the Riha's.  

Let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

  1. DeAnna, this looks easy enough for even me to try! I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah Grace! Let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete