7.01.2010

Fourth of July Memories - Read in the form of Bullets - (snaps...)

  • Backyard parties with foldable lawn chairs
  • Hot and sweaty by 2pm
  • Stuffing my face with burgers and fruit salad served in a carved out watermelon
  • My Aunt Flo singing "Proud to be an American" - have it on video!
  • Eventually hosting 4th of July in our backyard -  my parents set up tents to shelter the elders
  • Horseshoes in the way back of our yard
  • Annual bottle rocket fight which ended up in kids crying because they were scared
  • Pretending to like sparklers
  • Going to Mountain Home, Arkansas up until age 14, going on the lake all day and then hiding in the conversion van when it was time for fireworks
  • Black snakes and Snaps
  • Downers Grove, IL parade when my brother walked with the boy scouts
  • Rushing down to the local strip mall to set up a blanket in the parking lot to watch the fireworks
  • Watching my scared dog, Heidi, shiver in bed with me because she hated the fireworks
  • My dad teaching us flag etiquette
  • The 5th of July when the remnants of the prior day lingered
You know what, not much has changed.  Now we celebrate with the kids at my inlaws.  We have pineapple fruit salad, hot dogs and I am still afraid of fireworks and fake that I like sparklers.  I am the girl that gets hit with the ball at a sporting event when there are 100 other people there.  This leads me to believe I will be the one who gets a bottle rocket in the eye. 

Have a great 4th of July everyone!  I leave you with this:  Why did anyone invent "Punks"?  Discuss.....

No comments:

Post a Comment