6.22.2010

Recipe: M is for Migas

Some of you may have heard me throw the word "Migas" around.  1) It's a fun word to say especially if you let the "s" linger and 2) It is so good.  The word translates to "crumbs" in Spanish.

I was first introduced to Migas in April in Austin, Texas.  I was at a hip, Austin eatery for breakfast after a night of binge drinking (childless for the weekend) and stumbled upon this item on the menu.  I asked our waiter what it was and he said "eggs mixed with whatever is in the kitchen....tortillas, cheese and other stuff".  All I heard was tortillas and cheese and I said "I'll take the Migasssss".

It was so good.  I started making it at home two months ago and have had it once or twice a week.  So without further "ado", here is Migas:


Recipe is for one:

3 eggs (you can take out a yolk if you'd like) mixed with a little milk
1 - 2 chopped green onions
1/4 - 1/2 cup of crumbled tortilla chips or 2 small torn corn tortillas
1.5 Tbsp veg. oil
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (any kind, but mexi blends or colby jack works great)
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 cup of salsa

In a 10 or 12 inch skillet heat the veg. oil and saute green onions and tortillas 2-4 minutes.  Add eggs and stir.  Just as the eggs stiffen, add the cheese and cumin.  Cook for about 3 minutes.  Make a well in the center of the eggs and add salsa.  Let the salsa sit for about a minute while the liquid burns off.  Then mix together and serve!

A little bite of Spanish heaven. 

I like Jack's Special Salsa from the produce aisle.  You can add a little diced jalapeno, black beans, onion, or truly anything.  The tortillas really make it a unique flavored dish.

Muy bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment