6.19.2010

"You've got your hands full"

If I had a nickel for every time I have heard that from complete strangers, I wouldn't have to pawn my loot on Craigslist for cash (kidding).  This week on Wednesday I had THREE separate people say that to me.  On Thursday it was twice.  What makes them think I have my hands full?  Is it because:
  • I have a baby in a B'jorn, a child in a cart and a child hanging on the side of the cart while shopping from a list?
  • Is it because I am making a human train with my kids while holding an infant carrier running across a busy parking lot to swim lessons?
  • I am standing outside with kids screaming at me from the front porch when my dog breaks loose?
Whatever the situation, yes, I have my hands full, yet why does that phrase bother me? Especially when the connotation is negative empathy.  Maybe it's because in my opinion "Motherhood" has been receiving a "bad rap" lately.  Dr. Phil recently had an episode where he was helping (verbally spanking) mothers who yelled at their kids.  Postpartum Depression is the norm after women give birth, so we must all be "crazy" (insert sarcasm here).

Newsflash:  Just because I am a mother of three does not immediately mean that I am suffering and I am crazed.  I may have a cluttered house, but I enjoy the chaos and if I didn't have kids I would have more dogs.  My hands are not "full" with bad kids (as most strangers think), my heart is full of love.

And I am proud to say that the more I take kids out in public, the better they act the next time.  They are learning how to assimilate in different situations and so far I think they do pretty good!

I don't need your empathy, John Q. Public......I just need you to hold the door for me when you see me running with my human train!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is annoyed by this comment. I get it constantly and I can't stand it. It's like, "Really?" I know I do, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete